1/2 tsp black paste type food coloring (they come in small jars).
1 16 oz box of thick spaghetti or bucatini (if it's too thin, it won't have that wormy look)
4 quarts of water
3 tablespoons sea salt or Kosher salt
Large green olives stuffed with pimentos (Buy the fresh large ones, not bottled), or as an alternative, use buccatini (mozzarella balls) for use as eyeballs.
Spaghetti sauce, preferably a textured, meaty sauce, like a Bolognese.
- Fill a large pot with 3-4 quarts of water (pasta needs a lot of water to cook properly), and add 3 tablespoons sea salt.
- For the black color, add 1/2 tsp. food coloring to the water. Be very careful when using paste food coloring... this black stains your hands easily.
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the spaghetti and give a stir after a minute or so.
- Cook uncovered approximately 10-12 minutes, or until al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and drain well in a colapasta (colander) .
- Top the pasta with a Bolognese sauce and place olives around looking like monster eyes staring at your little diners.
You might even try using meatballs topped with halves of buccatini with sliced, pitted olives as the eyeballs on a bloody plate of spaghetti.
Enjoy... and keep an EYE OUT for monsters!