1/2 pound of stale bread
2 eggs, beaten
6 ounces diced Speck
1 medium onion, diced
6 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon flour
- Put the pieces of stale bread in a large bowl and soften them with some milk. When completely soft, wring out excess milk.
- Add the diced speck and then some salt, the butter, parsley and the onion.
- Season with some nutmeg and salt.
- Mix with two eggs and stir thoroughly adding some flour if necessary. Cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Forms 2" balls from the mixture and boil them in salted hot water for 15 minutes or until they float to the top.
- Serve hot in a bowl with broth, tomato sauce. Top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Asiago.