Whether your pizza is thin crust, hand tossed, thick crust or deep dish, top it with all of your favorite toppings (excluding anchovies) and use #PizzaWithTheWorksExceptAnchoviesDay to post on social media.
- In ancient Greece, the Greeks covered their bread with oils, herbs and cheese which some believe is the beginning of the “pizza”.
- In Byzantine Greek, the word was spelled “πίτα”, pita, meaning pie.
- A sheet of dough topped with cheese and honey, then flavored with bay leaves was developed by the Romans.
- The modern pizza had it’s beginning in Italy as the Neapolitan flatbread.
- The original pizza used only mozzarella cheese, mainly the highest quality buffalo mozzarella variant which was produced in the surroundings of Naples.
- It was estimated that the annual production of pizza cheese in the United States in 1997 was 2 billion pounds.
- The first United States pizza establishment opened in 1905 and was in New York’s Little Italy.
- Pizza has become one of America’s favorite meals.