In the 16th century Ninfa was repopulated by its inhabitants, when Cardinal Nicolò III Caetani ordered the architect Francesco Perugino to build a garden in the area of Ninfa, but this garden fell into decay soon after the Cardinal's death in 1585. During the 17th century it was gradually deserted due to the expansion of the surrounding marshes and the arrival mosquitoes carrying malaria.
As it stands today, this botanical treasure garden is crossed by numerous small springs as well as the river Ninfa, which flows south of the garden. Restoration of the garden involved importing plant species from all over the world. There are over a thousand varieties of plants and trees, such as American walnuts, several ornamental apples, yuccas, Cotinus coggygria, catalpa, cedar trees and many rose bushes that seem to have taken over the ruins of medieval structures.
The Gardens are open only on certain days from April through November. Visits are by scheduled tours only. Click the link below to reserve tickets.
Fondazione Roffredo Caetani onlus
Via della Fortezza
04010 Sermoneta (LT)